When you say depression,you actually say anxiety,sadness,negative thoughts and untold suffering. Depression itself,if not treated in time, can cause suffering and lead to suicide. In medical terms,depression is categorized as a serious medical illness which definitely needs treatment as soon as possible. The symptoms of depression are multiple and can make a person feel extremely down.
Symptoms of depression can sometimes be very tricky,that’s why you have to introspect yourself thoroughly, and if you find more than five of the symptoms presented below,then you are probably depressed. Usually,signs and symptoms of depression include:
- Loss of appetite or overeating;
- Headaches, abdominal pain or digestive problems;
- Insomnia or excessive sleep;
- Difficult concentration,it is very hard to make decisions and to remember things;
- Reduced energy and fatigue;
- Losing interest in activities that were pleasurable in the past;
- Anxiety and persistent sadness. You may feel like you are never gonna see the light again;
- Feelings of pessimism,hopelessness,worthlessness,guilt or helplessness;
- Getting tearful easily. Usually this happens without any reason or because of a really small problem which ends up being a drama;
- Losing interest in sex;
- Difficulty in speaking. The pronunciation may be very difficult and having a conversation can be extremely exhausting;
- Feeling isolated and unable to speak with people around you,even with your family and close friends;
- Experiencing a sense of unreality;feeling like you live in a different world;
- Being low-spirited most of the time;
- If you are a smoker,then you will use more tobacco or you will start drinking alcohol or even drugs in order to feel much better,but this is just your imagination;
- Thoughts of suicide. This s the worst stage of depression. People who have thoughts of depression feel like life is not worth living and they actually start to make plans about how to kill themselves. If you feel like that,remember you are not thinking clearly and you have to ask for help immediately.
Some people who have been severely depressed can start to have thoughts or experiences that others around them do not share and they can feel bad or even weird or crazy. For example they may see visions,they may have hallucination or hear voices,they may believe most of people are bad or they are influencing events in order to hurt others. You should not forget that these are false beliefs and are part of depression. Everything is just in your mind and the reality is actually very different.