Microwaves are common appliances in every home because they ease the cooking process and they allow you to defrost or reheat foods that would otherwise take longer to be prepared. Due to all their advantages, microwaves are used daily and almost at every meal, which has raised the matter that they destroy the nutrients in food. Find out in the following article whether or not cooking your food in the microwave oven reduces it’s nutritional value and removes the vitamins and minerals.
Using less water reduces the amount of vitamin loss
Every cooking method reduces the nutrients in the food due to the exposure to high temperatures but there are some factors that have to be taken into account, including the cooking time, the amount of water used or the amount of heat applied. All these factors influence the removal of nutrients and some nutrients like the folic acid and some vitamins are more sensitive to heat than others. If you boil the vegetables, it is likely that the vitamins in them are released into the water and are lost once you throw away the water, which also reduce the nutritional value of the vegetables. The fact that the microwaves don’t require additional water but heat the water particles in the food makes them a better choice when it comes to keeping the vitamins inside the vegetables.
Shorter cooking time means less lost nutrients
The fact that the microwaves involve a shorter cooking time for most foods minimizes the destructive effects. High heat forces the vitamins to practically disappear once the boiling point has been reached, so if you microwave the food for a short amount of time so that they boil less, you will be able to save more vitamins and the nutrients will stay in your foods. The vitamin C, for example, breaks down when it is exposed to heat during any cooking process, but if you reduce the amount of cooking time you can preserve it in your meal. A great tip is not to peel the fruits and vegetables and to cover them so that the steam will cook them in less time so that the nutritional value will not be damaged.
Use microwave-safe containers to avoid toxins release
One of the main concerns regarding microwave cooking is that the process can cause radiation leakage from the containers you cook the food in. Given that microwaves require high energy, some containers like the plastic ones are not safe to use in the microwave because there can be carcinogenic toxins released in your food. To minimize the risk, only use glass or ceramic containers that do not release any harmful toxins during the exposure to microwaves.