They say an apple a day can keep the doctor away,but what about owning a pet? Believe it or not, there are lots of health benefits of having a pet. People who have pets have noticed mental,emotional and physical improvements in their general condition. Keep reading in order to find out why you should bring a furry friend in your house.
Phisycal health benefits
When a person is dealing with a chronic pain such as a migraine or arthritis,pets can be a good medicine. Having a pet reduces anxiety considerably. Less anxiety equals less pain. A study from Loyola University has shown that people who use pet therapy while recovering from a surgery,need less pain medication than those who don’t.
2.Lower blood pressure
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, if you are a hypertensive or high risk- patient,having a pet is very important because it has the potential to lower blood pressure.
Dogs and felines are very beneficial for your health. If you own a dog,you are 40% less likely to have a cardiovascular incident such as a stroke and if are a feline owner you are 30% less likely to have a heart attack.
4.Lower risk of allergies and improved immunity
As a child,you will develop less allergies if you grow up surrounded by animals. Studies have shown that children that grow up in farms,surrounded by lots of animal don’t have allergies at all.
- Decreases stress
Research has shown that people experience less stress when they have a pet.
- If you own a pet you will report less depression and you will cope much better with loss,stress and grief than non-pet owners.
People with pets are also more empathetic and have a higher self-esteem.
- If you are a teenager who owns a pet,then you will probably have a more positive outlook on life and also will report less despair,loneliness,boredom and restlessness.
- A pet is also a great caregiver. He keeps us company when we feel down or we are sick.
- Pets can make us feel safe and they can be a good company when we are home alone.
- Pets help people socialize. For example,owning a dog increases a person’s opportunity to socialize.
- It is very important for a child to have a pet because that will help him in his emotional development. The child will learn to express himself in more ways and it helps him develop empathy.